Thursday, February 23, 2012

8 Amazing Months

My baby turned 8 months on Monday.  2/3 of a year old.  It's so hard to think that a year ago I was 6 months pregnant, getting ready to start Lamaze classes, and thinking "my belly is small!" (ha, what was I thinking?!)  So much has changed so fast and I'm on the downward end of the baby stage and quickly making my way to the toddler stage.

Keighan has finally recovered from all his illnesses and hopefully it stays that way.  He's getting better at sleeping at night and has only woken once each night for the past three nights.  I can solidly depend on a morning nap.  Afternoons are give or take on the naps but it's okay.  He eats three "solids" meals a day.  He nurses about 5 times a day.  There is a very scheduled routine in the late afternoon/early evening that Keighan follows and he's in bed by 7:30-8 every night.  Things are finally settling into a nice routine.

I'm starting to get a little sad about everything we've been through and are leaving behind.  He doesn't cuddle anymore.  He is fiercely independent and doesn't want help.  He doesn't want to be held.  The thing that I'm kind of "mourning" the most is that the nursing is winding down.  I fought so hard in the beginning to nurse Keighan.  We had such a terrible time getting established but by month 3 it was finally ok.  After that, it was just so easy and I wouldn't have had it any other way.  Now, he doesn't want to nurse except before he naps or sleeps for the night, when he wakes up in the morning, and he has one "meal" every afternoon.  It's just kind of hard when you worked so hard for something and then it finally starts going smooth and then it's already time to wind down.  It's fine, I wanted to be done when he turns one.  I want my body back for a while before even considering more children.  But it will still be missed.

In other news, there is lots I'm looking forward to this year (I know it's the end of February but I hardly blog so I can write the list now):

-Losing the last two pounds I have of baby weight.  Man, 43 pounds is hard to lose!  But really, I haven't exercised at all, I haven't really "dieted".  I contribute it to eating well because it tastes good, not because I feel like "I have to" and to breastfeeding.  I hope to continue losing some weight too.  Ideally, I'd like to lose 10 more pounds which really shouldn't be too hard once I start exercising.

- Exercising!  It's been so hard with Keighan to get into an exercising routine.  I can't wait for it to start getting nice out and I can take him on early morning walks and evening walks.  I am toying with the idea of getting a jogging stroller if I get back into my running routine from before pregnancy.

-Doing some cleaning.  I know I shouldn't be excited about cleaning but I haven't been able to give my house a good cleaning since before Keighan was born.  I'm going to go through things and toss or donate a bunch of stuff.  We are going to do some outdoor landscaping this year.  I'm looking forward to the changes and the cleanliness lol.

-Fun family and friend events.  I'm always down for a celebration.  I turn 26 this year, Keighan turns 1, my mom turns 50, Jeff turns 29, our good friends are having their second baby, my cousin is getting married, some of Jeff's friends are getting married, and so on.  I can't wait for all the celebrating!

There's more I'm looking forward to this year but I'm having a bit of a mental block trying to think of it all.  Mr. Man gave me a 5 am wake up call and I'm sucking down my Starbucks and trying to decide if I should take a shower while he sleeps in his car seat (I won't, that sort of thing freaks me out).  I may go visit my old work today during lunch.  They are having their monthly luncheon and asked me to come out.  It'll depend on the little guy because I usually get a shower while he sleeps but since he's asleep in his car seat, I'm not quite sure how this is going to work out.  This weekend Jeff and I are going to try and have a little date up in Omaha.  We want to go to lunch and to see The Vow.  Well, Jeff wants to go to lunch and I want to see The Vow so that's how that shakes out :) 

And now I leave you as I always do, with pictures!






No comments: