Monday, February 22, 2010

Going Ons

It's been a while since I've posted because I've felt I really don't have anything fun to talk about.

Jeff's business trip went well for him. He got to meet with a bunch of agents and eat some yummy food on the company's dollar. He always misses home when he leaves though and I miss him too. A house is so lonely when there is only one person in it. Pinky should have helped but she's been on an anti-meagan campaign. I'll try to pet her or love on her but she'll run away and she'll always go to Jeff to get petted and loved on. I'm the one that feeds, waters, and scoops her baff-room! Loser.

I have picked up a few subbing jobs which have been very nice. I got to be an art teacher for the first time, a PE teacher for the 903485th time, and subbed for some Maxey teachers, Pyrtle, and Belmont. It's been nice to be out of the house and making some money. It's been kind of a depressing year since subs aren't needed as much. At least I know that in about 6 or 7 months I will have a full time position (who knows doing what?) and I can be making some money and getting out of the house! There is only so much house cleaning a person can do before they go crazy!

Jeff and I are on our second month of developing a budget. It was one of our family goal's this year to come up with and stick to a budget. It's really really hard for me to do it. I have never had a budget in my life and giving every dollar a name is hard! I'm having trouble writing down everything I spend and keeping my receipts. It's just not a habit I'm used to and so I'm having trouble remembering to write things down and not throw receipts. We are getting ready to do some pretty exciting stuff in terms of money. Once we file our taxes and get our tax return we will have more than enough money to pay off the last of our student loans. Once we have done that, we will be debt free except for the mortgage!!!! It is really exciting. No car payments, credit card payments, student loans, anything. We have entertained the idea of putting off a family for a few more years and knocking out the mortgage by attacking it hard core but I don't know if we have the endurance to do something that hard. It would take a few years and we wouldn't be living the high life (not that we do now :) ) but it is a really fun idea to entertain. If it ever comes to fruition, we'll see. But it is tempting.

I know everyone is wanting spring to come and Jeff and I are no exception. It seems like any day we get above 30 (there haven't been many of those huh?) the snow melts just a little bit so that I can see my poor brown grass but I should better just take a picture of that grass because whenever it peeks its little head out of the snow, another snow comes and I don't see it again for weeks. It's gotten to the point that I kind of just want to cry whenever I hear snow in the forecast. I swear every year that I have S.A.D. and I'm completely honest in thinking I have it. This winter has been terrible. Jeff said that it has to get better soon since March is next month. But then I just think back to my spring break in 2006 and remember the blizzard we got in the middle of March and how they had to cancel the university for it. Ugh. I don't know how much more of this I can take. I bought a pair of sandals today (I took it out of the blow money I will receive from our tax return :) and they only had one pair in my size left-- who is buying sandals in this weather?!) so maybe that'll persuade dear ol' Mother to decide to get warm.

--FYI: This is the longest winter Lincoln has had of consecutive days with snow on the ground higher than an inch. The record was like 76 days or so. We passed that last week. So, yeah.--

Jeff and I are planning a trip down to Oklahoma for the latter part of March. It will be nice to get out of Lincoln and hopefully it'll be nice and warm down there. We are going to try and take Katie as long as she can get off work and will be out of school. We will stay with Sean and Katie down there and catch up with friends, see a band, hopefully go to a Thunder game, plan a baby shower (yay!), and just enjoy ourselves. I'm really looking forward to that!

What I'm really looking forward to though is this summer. It'll look something like this:
Mom and Dad bought us a fire pit as our housewarming gift this fall. It's not exactly like this but we will have our firepit going, our chairs, and our glasses of wine/beer. Life will be good!!!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Good for you guys being debt free! That's an awesome goal to have accomplished. That's what we've been buckling down too, and it is hard to not just go shopping or buy this or that! I think we've got about 9 months to go before we're done.