Monday, November 7, 2011

Lexington

This weekend we ventured out west to Lexington.  Our friends were having a baby shower and we wanted to go so that we could see them once more before, probably, next spring.  They are scheduled for a c-section on the 16th and can hardly wait.  They are having a little boy named Wyatt. :)

The drive went well.  Keighan surprised us both by sleeping from right outside Lincoln until the time we rolled up to their house.  It was a nice surprise as we are used to him fussing and being unhappy in his car seat, especially on long trips.  Our friends just moved into their house last week and so we got the grand tour of it.  It's really cute and just the right size for their growing family (they have a 3 year old son as well). 

The baby shower took place at a winery.  It was really cute and I wish we had the time to do the wine tasting and such.  We could have but it would have taken time away from the shower and that didn't sit well with us.  The shower was very small and intimate.  We played three games.  I had to hide my inner competitor and only won one of the games being beat out by an animal expert on the baby animal name game (yes we played it at my shower but there was no way I remembered!) and I was just seconds shy of winning the word find.  I won the word scramble and got a very yummy maple syrup (aka "myrup" in the McKeighan and Mohr household) candle.  Jeff said we should light it on the weekends when we have our special weekend breakfasts so it adds to the ambiance :)

Towards the end of the shower they turned on the Nebraska game while we ate.  It was a sad sight to see and I really don't want to talk about it.  Keighan wasn't wearing his Nebraska clothes and neither was I.  I didn't religiously watch College Game Day in the morning and I didn't have special football snacks to eat.  I'm very superstitious when it comes to NU football and I definitely didn't complete my ritual Saturday in order for us to win.  Sorry guys. ;-)

We spent the rest of the weekend catching up with our friends and playing with Keighan and their son Griffin.  On Sunday morning we headed out to my grandparents' house to celebrate my grandpa's birthday.  We had some delicious cake (I want more!!) and had a little "card shower" for him.  We didn't stay long as the Mohr clan was dead tired.  We still had to drop one of our cars off at the mechanic and needed to get home to relax. 

Daylight savings time ending is great when you are a childless person.  Daylight savings time ending is HORRIBLE when you are a momma and daddy.  Your child wants to go to bed earlier thinking that it's later and wants to wake up earlier thinking that it's later.  Keighan hit his wall at about 6:20 last night.  We tried everything to keep him going but between the time change and a busy weekend, he had had it.  We gave him a bath and put him to bed.  Coincidentally, mama went to bed at 7 as well last night.  Keighan got up for the first time at 10pm and I knew it would be a long night.  He got up about 5 times between wanting to eat and just wanting comfort but in an effort to change his little internal clock a little I kept putting him down and not letting him get up when he wanted to for the day.  He stayed in bed until 7 this morning and I think I have him reset.  He's taking his morning nap right now which is right on with when he usually does.  So fingers crossed it worked last night.

Thankfulness update:

Nov 5- Work.  God has provided our family with the opportunity for me to stay home.  Jeff is blessed to have the ability to work and the opportunity to work.  There are lots of people out there that aren't working or that do work and can't afford to have a spouse stay at home.  We make lots of sacrifices to be able to do this but it's definitely worth it.  There will be time to travel, watch the "premium" TV channels, and splurge on luxury items when my kids are grown.  Right now all Jeff and I need is Keighan (and eventually our other kids) and all he needs is us.

Nov 6- Great friends.  I am so blessed to have great friends in my life.  I don't have a ton of friends.  I was always kind of a "step ahead" of my friends.  I got married young while a lot my friends were still single or not close to an engagement and I have had a baby while most of my friends are childless.  The friends I do have I am so thankful for.  My oldest and dearest friend Ashley grew up with my through the awkward years, knows all of my secrets, and I am so incredibly lucky to still have her in my life.  My new friends I've met the past 7 years in Nebraska are fabulous and it's nice to have most of them so close.  It's really hard to make friends as an adult and I'm just very blessed and grateful that I have the ones that I do.  Hopefully, I can make some mommy friends too once Keighan is a little older and we can join some play groups. You know, that whole "make new friends but keep the old" style of thinking :)

Nov 7- Peace and quiet.  You will never ever be as thankful for peace and quiet as you are when you're a parent.  Just the opportunity to sit down and do whatever you want for a few minutes is heaven.  Little man is due to wake up any time now and I'm feeling like it's a Sunday night and I have to go to work/school in the morning.  But that's just the dread before I go in there and my son gives my the biggest cutest smile ever.  Then those yucky feelings go away :)

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Love you! Bff for life. I am so thankful to have you in my life!