In less than two weeks my baby (not baby) will be one year old. I'm in serious denial. This whole year has gone so quickly. When people asked how old he was I'd always round up to either the half month ("Oh, he's 4 1/2 months!) or the next month ("Oh, he's 7 months!" when he still has a week to go until that point). Now, when people have been asking I've been like, "Oh, he's ONLY 11 months." even though in 13 days he'll be one. It kind of makes me want to cry but it really makes me want to celebrate. Even though the year has flown by, we have been through SO MUCH.
Just the rate at which he's grown from a tiny little 7lb 14 oz (7 lbs at his lowest) to 22.2 lbs (I weigh him daily because he loves it. Strange boy ;-) ) He's getting taller and thinning out and doesn't look like a baby anymore. He hasn't really since he was 9 months old and walking. No baby should walk until they are a year. That way you can enjoy them in all their babyness.
We've gone a year of waking up in the nights. Excuse me, don't let me lie to you, we've gone about 355 days of not sleeping through the night. And those ten days he has slept may be an exaggeration. I know for sure that he's slept through 7 times. Haha.
We've gone through a year of nursing which is no easy feat. I got off onto a terrible start with it. All kinds of complications but we did it. It was really rough the first 4 months but the past 8 have been a breeze. Even with teeth, which horrified me but haven't even been a thought because nothing has changed with the appearance of the teeth. And this year mark we can celebrate putting the pump away. Hallelujah! I hate pumping and will be glad to be done with it in 13 days!
We've made it through about 4 colds. I don't know how a breast feeding non daycare baby gets sick four times in the first year but he did it. We are just now getting over the most recent one. The first one was really scary-- he couldn't breathe out of his nose, he couldn't sleep at all, he couldn't nurse because he couldn't breathe. But we made it.
We've made it through everything. Just last night I was talking to Jeff about how I couldn't believe the hospital handed Keighan over at 2 days old to us two shaking scared parents. We got home and didn't even know what to do! Who knows what to do when they bring a baby home? I was saying how I didn't even know how I knew to change his diaper at night since we haven't changed Keighan at night, unless he's had a bad accident, in forever. I don't know how we knew how to do anything. I was telling Jeff that I'm kinda worried about having another one because I don't remember how to do anything I've done before. Jeff reassured me and said that I'd know (and I know that I'd know) but that I would just "do it". Instinct. This is how far we've come-- we've come so far we can't remember every step it took to get here.
We've also come far enough that the thought of a second child doesn't sound like the worst thing that could happen to us. Because believe me, many sleepless nights we would talk about how Keighan was it. The second baby won't be anytime soon. But he/she will be at some point. We have to make it further down the road to begin any thinking about that.
So here we are at a year. My son is amazing. He's smart-- so so smart. He's adorable. He's funny. He's perfect. I love him so much. So so much.
I'm in denial. That I only have 17 more years until he is free to do what he wants and leave my house and make his own choices. Yes, that's how much I've thought about this. With how quickly this first year has passed, 17 years is really nothing. Seriously, nothing.
Soon, I'll post some pictures of a year ago compared to today. They make me sad and happy and all sorts of emotions I can't describe. Being a parent makes you a crazy person doesn't it? All these weird emotions and crazy talk. Whatevs, I wouldn't change it for the world.
Love you Baby Keighan. <3
No comments:
Post a Comment