It's definitely the dog days of summer up here in good ol' Nebraska. We've been sweating under clear skies, high humidity, and temps around 100 for days. While it is hot and nasty, I would take this any day over the cold bitter winters that Nebraska can serve up. Though in Nebraska's defense, we have had a few mild winters lately.
It's been forever since I've blogged. I just feel so busy all the time with the little man. He's always showing me something new and wanting to play with things that take more than just his little set of hands. He's into exploring everything in the house and making sure Mommy is right there with him while he gets in to all sorts of trouble :)
His first birthday party was fabulous. It was beach themed. We had lots of little ones running around and close family to help celebrate. Keighan liked having friends over and loved digging into his cake.
Fourth of July was fun this year. We headed out to Seward the night before because Jeff and I signed up for a 2 mile fun run that took place at 7 in the morning on the fourth. Grandma and Grandpa watched Keighan that morning and Jeff and I went running. We ran a mile, walked 1/2 a mile, and ran the last half mile. That's pretty good because we haven't ran in months. I really don't know the last time we ran. I think Jeff could have ran the whole thing and ran it faster but he was a sweet man and stayed with me and walked with me when I needed a breather. We went in to town with Keigs and the Browns and it was just sweltering. The craft show wasn't impressive and Keighan was hot. He did however have his first Runza which he looooved and he had lemonade which he equally loved. Oh and a pina colada snow cone. We were bad bad parents for feeding him all this but it was hot, he was hungry, and he started begging others for food. It was a holiday which is as good of an excuse as any to have naughty treats! :) We had a huge BBQ back at Grandma's and headed home around 6. No fireworks again this year. There's no way Keighan could have made it and really it's not that big of a deal to us.
The boy had his one year appointment July 9th. He had a huge growth spurt and went from 70% in head to 90%, from 16% in height to 65%, and from 50% in weight to 75%. He's finally catching up a bit. Everything looks good and he's a smart little guy. He had three shots and a finger poke. His hemoglobin levels came out a bit low and so he's on iron supplements for the next three months. They are going to retest him next month. If his level raises by 0.5 he can stop taking them early. He HATES the supplements, I can't say that I blame him-- they taste like you ate a handful of nickles. He has to get them three times a day and doesn't quite grasp the idea that if he drinks something right after taking them the taste would slightly go away. So we are praying that level gets up and we can quit the darn things. He also had a reaction to the MMR shot that gave him a nasty 24 hour fever 6 days after getting the shot. This past weekend was shot when he woke up at 3 am sweaty and burning up and we couldn't get him feeling better. Then add on a tooth that's trying to make it's way through. You get the picture. Jeff and I were two very tired parents come Monday morning.
This summer has been really nice. Jeff and Keighan get up in the morning and take a walk and let dear ol' mommy sleep a little longer. We are still fighting Keighan with getting up at night so I take nighttime duty and Jeff takes early morning duty-- bless his heart. Keighan and I hang out inside during the day because it's just been too darn hot out. On Tuesdays, Isabelle comes over and babysits so I can have some "me time". In the evenings we have an early dinner and we all go outside and Keighan plays in his water table and pools and Jeff and I have an adult drink. It's a pretty laid back routine that we all have come to enjoy.
This weekend we are really busy. We have a friend coming to stay with us tonight, which we just found out about this morning but we never say no to the Brays. :) Then tomorrow morning we are headed to Iowa for a family reunion on Jeff's mom's side. Then we are coming back and heading to Hannah's wedding that evening. On Sunday, I think, we are going back up to Omaha to celebrate Charlie's birthday. So basically, it's going to feel like no weekend-- haha. Next weekend is our first weekend in a long long time that we don't have anything planned on (as of yet). But the following weekend we are back to work as the McKeighan ladies are hitting up the Train concert and then the whole McKeighan/Mohr/Bashford clans are making their way down south to visit Sean, Katie, and Ally. Talk about crazy busy!
I'm going to try and make some time at some point each week to blog. It's really hard to even get on the computer with Keighan running around during the day and Jeff needing it for school at night. Anyone wanna give me a computer? ;-)
More to come later!
No comments:
Post a Comment