Well, we've been back from Atlanta for a little over 2 weeks and we have been just as busy as usual. This is the first time I've had the energy to sit down and type out some of the stuff that we did.
We spent the night at the Mohrs on the Thursday before we left. It was a disaster because it was Keighan's first time not sleeping in some kind of contained unit (i.e. crib or pack and play, if I could I would put him in a cage when we went places). This resulted in him rolling off his awesome new Thomas bed that I begged Jeff to let me buy for him and it turned out he didn't sleep in it at all during the entire vacation (oops). So rolling off the bed, sleeping on the floor, getting up and randomly walking around in the middle of the night-- creepy, and eventually getting into the small bed with Jeff and I and all three of us basically laying awake because no one was happy or comfortable.
We had to be at the airport very early as our place took off in the 7:00 hour. Keighan pretty much had his no sleep meltdown start there. We cried and ran away and spilled chocolate milk onto our most prized books that we love so dearly (if anyone wants to help us buy new ones, we are all for donations ;) ) We got to board first for our flight since we had Keighan with us. We got a great row with extra leg room. However, by the time the regular flyers could board, Keighan was ready to go and kept trying to get in the aisles and wave goodbye to me and Jeff. Then we just kept having meltdowns throughout the flight and he passed so much disgusting gas that we swore he pooped his pants and there is no where to change a 30+ lb, 3 foot tall (I dont know how tall he is at all-- totally estimating. p.s. I got C's in math so that's how well I can estimate) toddler. Thank goodness we had a very nice lady and her young adult daughter behind us, they took it all well. The daughter kept trying to talk about Thomas with Keighan when Keighan would drape himself over his chair and stare at them but once she said anything Keighan would scream. It was ridiculous.
Thank goodness the flight was short, about 90 minutes. We got to Atlanta and had no clue where to go. Did you know that Atlanta is the world's busiest airport? Seriously, look it up. We didn't. It was ridiculous. Plus, we were juggling Keighan who was going on 20+ hours of no sleep. Eventually we got on the train after walking 500 miles (and then we walked 500 more, just to be the family who walked 1000 miles... no? Okay, onward then). We got picked up and whisked away to the Bray's humble abode. Not really whisked away because it was still at least 40 minutes to their house and 35 week pregnant Meagan was stuffed between two car seats in the back seat. My butt was halfway on one of the car seats and I was sitting basically sideways. SOS.
From then on things went pretty well. We went to lunch and Keighan had a four hour nap. The girls came home from daycare and they all loved on each other and had a blast. I wish Keigs had some friends here, it's just too hard to make friends at storytime or music, especially when he doesn't talk. I like to pick and force him to play with people-- such as Brooklyn and Mallori :-D
For the next few days we just hung out around the house mostly, eating lots of delicious food, and letting the kids play. We only made two outings with the kid's with us the whole 4 days we were there. One was to a delicious burger place for lunch that had the most amazing banana split you have ever tasted. The other was to a very pretty large park that had an enormous play area, a picnic area, a huge outdoor fireplace, and a dock that you can go and look out on to the river and look at ducks. It was so pretty. I melted my face off in the hot and humidity but it was worth it. Seriously though, I don't think I've ever been anywhere more humid. Nebraska is nothing compared to Atlanta.
The day we had to leave was our "Home Alone" day. First Jeff and I set our alarm clock for 6 because we were planning to leave at 7 for the airport. Well, the alarm didn't go off and thank goodness I can't sleep worth anything being pregnant and sharing a bed with my heavy, in your face son and husband that I looked at the clock and it was 6:30. I literally hit Jeff and said, "We slept in!" just like in Home Alone. And from then on it was a mad dash to get everything packed and ready to go. We were on the road at 7 like we planned to be and Michael was taking us to the airport. Apparently, rush hour doesn't start until 9 in Atlanta for some reason. Except for that Tuesday. We were weaving in and out of traffic and I was sweating bullets by the time we got there. We were about 55 minutes early for our flight and then I decided that if we got on the train we would be at our gate in plenty of time. That is until I saw the security line.
The security line was basically going out the door of the airport. OUT THE DOOR. AS IN OUTSIDE. I tried to stay calm and think that the security was just really close to the baggage claim and doors to the outside. Bahahahahaha, nope. Apparently, and we weren't told this until much later when we were actually on our flight, there had been a fire on an escalator that billowed smoke into one of the terminals and something or another happened which all just boils down to the fact that the whole north security section was closed. So all passengers for all flights at the world's busiest airport were directed to go through one section of security that had maybe 10-15 lanes? We were in line for what seemed like forever, but to Atlanta's credit they did have people movin. Jeff and I resigned to the fact that we had a 95% chance of missing our flight and having to figure out something to do. After about 45 minutes in line we finally made it through security (which given how many thousands of people there were, that's awesome!) and we made a mad dash for the train and caught it as we showed up at about the same time it did, thank goodness we didn't miss it! We had to go down to the second to last set of terminals (of course) but at least trains are fast. When we got off, Jeff was holding Keighan and Jeff just started running. It was okay, I get it. But I was 35 weeks pregnant carrying about 4 of our 5 bags and there's no way I could run or even fast walk. I figured they would get on the flight if it was still there and beg them to wait for the big preggo that was waddling as quick as she could.
By some miracle, Jeff made it to the plane on time and told them I was coming. The plane was so full that I had to check one of my bags (would have been easier to check it from the beginning so Miss Preggo here didn't have to drag it but no big whoop). And I got my behind on the plane. After being very gracious to each flight employee I passed and thanking them for waiting and blah blah blah, they ended up waiting an extra 10-15 minutes anyway and that was aggravating because 1. I didn't have to kill myself and get all nasty going as quick as I could and 2. they made Jeff have to defend me because they were like "Well, how far behind you is she?" and making comments like they couldn't wait for me very long at all. Whatever. We made our flight!
Except then we got delayed on the runway because of some "air traffic control" delay. Meaning, our plane probably shouldn't have waited the extra 10-15 minutes after I got on because we probs missed our place in the sky. So we sat on the runway for about 45 minutes. Our layover was in Charlotte and we only had about 55 minutes between our flights. So doing some math we waited 15 minutes and then delayed for 45 minutes, that's 60 minutes of wasted time. We knew we would miss our connecting flight. Everyone else was freaking out about missing theirs as well. People had out their computers and phones and making alternative arrangements. All I could do is fight back tears. I hate the actual act of traveling.
We finally took off and the flight was short and sweet and Keighan did awesome. Right before we landed they told us they made up a tiny bit of time so if you're flight took off before 11:20 to basically run to your gate and try and catch it, if it left at or after 11:20 they would rebook us right when we get off. Ours took off at 11:15. Of course. And they only other flight from Charlotte to Omaha was at 9 at night. No way I wanted to stay in the Charlotte airport for 10 hours. Also, Keighan was awake the whole trip and even when we touched down. When we taxied to our gate he fell asleep. One of those hard, I can't wake up sleeps. And guess who he fell asleep on? Yours truly. So, since we were supposed to "run" to our gate like the pilot said Jeff took all of our bags except my purse and took off as soon as he could. I waddled my behind off the plane carrying my 30+lbs bag of lumpy potatoes toddler and waddled as quick as I could. Hey, guess what? Our gate was at the complete opposite end of the airport. With no train. And not all of the walking sidewalks worked. Eventually, I lost complete sight of Jeff and was just like, KILL ME NOW. There were the handicap golf cart things zooming everywhere but there were people on each and every one of them. I finally found an empty one and asked if she could take me to my gate. She asked for my letter and I said E and she said she only delivered to B and zoomed off. I could have cried right then and there. I was in B for crying out loud. So that meant I had to get all the way to E before someone could shuttle me to my E16 gate. Waaaaaaaaaah.
I made it to E with my back exploding and my eyes filled with tears of pain and stress and found a golf cart lady. Technically, I was supposed to check in at a station and sit my butt down in a special chair and wait for someone to come get me. That wasn't gonna fly with me. I went right up to the lady who was checking out some old guy's bagged lunch (Man, what are they doing?!) and told her to pleeeeeease take me to my gate. She got me checked in while I sat in the cart and she zoomed me off to my gate. She said that they were holding the plane for me and not to worry. When we got there, I was greeted by 3 different flight personnel telling me don't run, don't worry, they are waiting for me. And of course, Keighan woke up right at this time. Way to wake up Keighan! Couldn't have done it earlier huh?! Anyway, I walked on to the plane and they immediately shut the door behind me. I thanked everyone for waiting and apologized profusely (not that it was my fault but still, if Jeff hadn't of ran and told them I was coming, we would have missed the flight). Jeff sat with Keighan on the flight because it was just a 2 and 2 seater and I, of course, got the window seat of the row ahead of them. So, I squeezed myself past the lady and sat my huge self down knowing that I wouldn't be getting up for the rest of my time on this plane (2 1/2 hours) and silently praising that I purposely didn't drink anything that morning so I wouldn't have to use the airplane toilet. But not to worry, because EVERYONE else used the bathroom and let me know how tiny it was (men were saying this, how would I have ever fit in there?!) and since I was in the third to last row, the bathroom line that was never ending got to hang out by me the whole time.
When we landed in Omaha, I felt like I landed on American soil from a war or something. I could have kissed the floor, I could have cried. Thank goodness we were home. We grabbed some lunch since neither Jeff nor I ate at all the whole day so far and we had just pumped Keighan full of snacks because our day was so up in the air and there was no time to ever stop and actually feed him. We made the hour drive back to Lincoln and I never want to leave again.
It took several days to recover and Keighan's sleeping has yet to recover because he slept in bed with me or Jeff every night of vacation. So now he's up every night and crying about bed time. Before we left we were having amazing sleep with him sleeping through the night, taking 3 hour naps, the ultimate works that we deserved after dealing with his sleeping issues for so long. But that's all lost now as we are working to get him to sleep for an hour without crying now. And things aren't looking up with a baby coming home in 19 days (give or take, take, please take).
So that's my Atlanta story. Hope you all enjoyed. And there is no way I'm going back to edit so if there are typing and grammar errors, sorry just deal. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment