New Mexico:
We had this trip planned for a few months now. We were going to go down to New Mexico and El Paso for a few days, Jeff for business, myself for pleasure. However, we were way off on what we thought we were getting ourselves in to. We should have realized it right away. Our plane was scheduled to take off from Omaha to Minneapolis at 9 am. We got there at 7:45, were through security by 8, and at our gate at 8. Boarding time came around 8:30 but no one was boarding yet and there were no announcements for it. By 8:45 we were informed that there was a "mechanical issue" on our flight and that a mechanic is on his way to fix it. He wouldn't show up for at least half an hour. By the time he got there it was about 9:15 and so we figured he'd get it fixed up and we would be on our way (we had a connecting flight in Minneapolis with a 45 minute layover). 3 HOURS LATER... we finally get to board because the dang mechanic took FOREVER. If anyone has been to the Omaha airport you know that there is NOTHING to do. So it was ridiculous, we definitely missed our connecting flight and got rescheduled to fly to Minneapolis to Salt Lake City to Albuquerque, 5 hours later than expected. So Jeff had to cancel his meetings for the day (Tuesday) and we figured we would get a fresh start the next morning. By the time we get to Albuquerque it was about 7:00 (8:00 our time) we were tired, hungry, and a little angry about everything getting all messed up for the day. We went to the luggage claim and lo and behold OUR LUGGAGE IS NOT THERE! I was really upset because it had been a long day but the lady was REALLY nice and gave Jeff and myself "overnight bags" that should tide us over until our luggage got there which at the earliest would be 1:30 the following day (Wednesday).
**Now let me tell you a side story about my brilliant idea-- on Monday (the day before our flight) I took a shower in the late afternoon and wore the clothes that I would wear to travel in so that I wouldn't have to dig in my suitcase early in the morning.**
So I am in 2 day old clothes and will have to wear the same thing the following day. (p.s. miss smartie forgot to pack any kind of extra undergarments in her carry on) Alright. We got to the hotel and opened our carry ons to see what we had to take care of ourselves with. I forgot to put our toothbrushes in our carry ons so we have nothing to even clean our mouths with. So distraught I opened the "overnight bag" and this is what I got:

Plus a shirt. Okay the toothpaste wouldn't open, the shaver looked very scary, the toothbrush felt like one of the very soft bristle brushes you use on an infant's head and the shirt smelled disgusting a mix of heavy perfume and airplane. Disgusting. Oh and by the way, Jeff's bag didn't even come with a toothbrush! Now the deodorant is in the picture above (it's the one that looks like lip gloss). Now if any of you have ever had the "Push Pop" lollipops, this is how the deodorant worked. You put your finger in the bottom of the barrel, pushed on it, and the deodorant came up. Jeff pushed to hard on it and the whole thing flew out onto the floor. By this point everything was passed the point of making me angry and I was just finding everything highly entertaining. The deodorant didn't only look like lip gloss but when you put it on it felt like lip gloss.
The next day Jeff and I were disgusting in our old clothes and nasty "essentials" we were given. (Thank goodness we found him a toothbrush to use... it was even worse than the one in the bag) We finally got our bags at 1:30 (after cancelling more of his business meetings) and went on down to El Paso.
Now the rest of our trip went really fast and it wasn't anything spectacular. I was just happy to get out of Nebraska for a while. We did get to see the hospital I was born at which is kind of exciting. Here I am with the sign:

Okay moving on...
Valentine's Day:
Jeff and I didn't do anything too exciting for V-day because 1. we were exhausted from our trip and 2. we don't really care for the day. We made 4-cheese tortellini with meat marinara sauce, garlic bread, salad, and had some red wine. For dessert we got some Ben and Jerry's-- yummy! It was a pretty good time.
The Job:
The job is very cool but I am really really busy. Today I was left alone most of the day just to try to sort through things and familiarize myself with the stuff. I am a little nervous of coming up with things all on my own because I don't really have anything in the first place to pull from. However, I am already starting to pull kids out tomorrow and started the process for two kids to get identified today so I think I am doing pretty well considering it was my first day and I am on my own. I got about 45 minutes of "training" and then was left on my own for the rest of the day. Technically my day ends at 2 but I was there until 3 and I would have stayed longer but I had an appointment at HR to do some paperwork. I think for a while I will be staying much later than 2.
I have a lot more I could talk about and would like to talk about but I have seriously been non-stop busy since 6:30 this morning and I need some down time. I will definitely up date when I have some more time and let you all know more about the job.
With that I will leave you with a picture of Jeff and the smelly airplane shirt we got. Enjoy.
1 comment:
Yeah...that's what happened to us in Hawaii on our honeymoon! Their "overnight" bag is disgusting and sad...hence the too small shorts I now own that say "HAWAII" across the bum that I had to buy to wear that next day...I did buy a cute t-shirt for that day though!
Post a Comment