Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Job Update

I talked to Tracey today and she talked a little bit about the open positions next year and asked me what I would prefer out of Kindergarten, 3rd, and 5th. She said that she told Mr. Decker again that they can't lose me next year. She also said that my name came up in their meeting with the staffing department at the district office in front of the "big wigs" which really are the big wigs (four doctors of education, two special education heads of department, and Kay Byers the directer and head honcho of hiring teachers). They asked, "How is the new gifted facilitator working out?" and Tracey and Mr. Decker said "Great. We are keeping her for next year." So, that's good news I suppose.

She asked me if my husband was excited for the possibility of me having a full time job and I said yeah, we are working on paying off student loans and may get it done this year and she said well, you'll have that full time job to do that. Sooooo.... I dunno :) I'm glad I can talk pretty candidly with her about what I want and stuff like that. She's awesome.

I did an April Fool's lesson with my third graders today. We did a worksheet that was an April Fool's joke on them. Only three of the students figured it out and did what they were supposed to. It was funny to watch the rest of the kids sweat over the worksheet and the three kids just looked around at everyone else and had huge smiles because they figured the joke out. It was pretty cool. We also read the Emperor's New Clothes which they liked and for the rest of class they worked on infomercials to sell their own type of the invisible clothes. One child, (Mom- it was Alex) said that they were going to make an invisible referee suit for basketball and another referee will come out in the commercial and blow his whistle and say, "Technical Foul!" in regards to the referee's "outfit". It was pretty funny. I love working with this class.

I don't have another class until 1:00, so I am stuck reading stock market papers that I made my fifth graders write. I really don't like stock market stuff and I'm really glad that that class is over now and we only have one more period together in which we are celebrating the end by having a popcorn party and watching a video... Schoolhouse Rock (because I can't think of anything else that is entertaining and educational... ideas?)

This is it for now.

No comments: