Wednesday, April 8, 2009

We Did It

Well, Jeff and I have added a new member to the Mohr family. A cat named Pinky.

Jeff and I have been talking about getting a cat for a while. It's a pet that is nice to have around but is also independent and does its own thing. It is an Easter/birthday present for me :)

We went to The Cat House last night which is a no-kill shelter for cats. The lady who took us around and introduced us to the cats said that there were somewhere in the 70s or 80s of how many cats they currently have. In the main room there were cats in large floor to ceiling cages with about 5 in each. They had trees, toys, and little things to hide in so you could tell they weren't really "caged" animals. There were cats that also were "free roaming" in the main area where you talk to the receptionist and stuff and that's because those cats are on diets and the staff feels they could use the extra space for a little extra exercise. They're right. Some of those cats were huge haha.

We went there looking at one cat in particular that we saw on the website. The cat's name was Boots. Some of you knew the cat I took out to grandma's farm that she named "Nermal". Well Boots had the same coloring and looked similar to Nermal except that Boots had white boots... hence the name. Well when we visited her, she wasn't very friendly. She was hissing and scratched Jeff and tried to bite. So we ended up passing pretty quickly on her. We took the tour and it was really overwhelming because of how many cats there were. We knew we wanted one that was friendly, liked to be petted but when the person was done petting the cat would go on and do their own thing, and if they were already declawed that would be awesome. There were some cats there that were FeLV positive (feline leukemia) and FIV positive (the cat equivilent of HIV). It was really sad to see them there because not many want to adopt them (understandably) but it's just sad to hear that they continuously get passed up. Maybe if I was single and had the time I would adopt one but I don't think I have the appropriate skills and situation for one of those kitties.

Anyway, the cat we ended up with is named Pinky. She came from a home with two other cats. Her owner had to surrender them when she went into assisted living. She was pretty social at the shelter but when we were done petting her she went off and did her own thing. She is already declawed, up to date on shots, around 6 years old, and spayed. She is a dilute calico and could stand to lose a pound or two. We brought her home last night and put her in the guest room. The ladies at the shelter said that we should keep her in one room for a couple days just so she can get used to her surroundings. She spent about 2 minutes looking around the room and then went under the bed and didn't come out. The ladies said this was normal. This morning when I went to check on her, she was still under there and hadn't come out as far as we could tell because her food and litter box hadn't been touched. We tried to coax her out but she didn't want to come out and we didn't want to force her. So we will see how she does today and hopefully she will come out soon. She is a very sweet cat. I wanted to get a picture of her to post on the blog but she wouldn't come out and I didn't want to use the flash so you all must settle on the one provided from the website.



So, that's our new Toonsers. I'll update you when she decides she's ready to come out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pinky! Welcome to the family!